We got the spare coop moved this weekend. We need to paint it before we put it up on pier blocks, and start getting it ready for the new chickies in March. Sometime this summer we’ll insulate it and add a layer of plywood inside, so it’s as warm & cozy as the smaller coop.
It was quite a workout, walking it across the barnyard. The steers are happy to have a little more room for roughhousing, and now we can enclose both coops in a varmint-resistant run. We’re getting ready to start the next project, which is running power to the coops and barn. What a treat to get rid of extension cords and have a real electric light to work by. We’ll also add a security light near the end of the drive, since the front porch light doesn’t really make it out that far.
We’re still eating last season’s onions, garlic, squash & potatoes fresh from the garden, but not much left. We’ll be planting even more this year. Plenty of canned goods left, green beans, pears & applesauce especially. I’ll be making jam out of the blackberries & strawberries left in the freezer, to make room for upcoming harvests. Always something tasty in season here, once we figure out what to grow when, and how much to preserve.