After a long stretch of dark & rainy spring/summer, we finally got a stretch of hot (for the PNW) weather. Naturally we had a lot of catching up to do.
With the weeks of warm wet weather we’ve recently had, the blight was sure to follow, and our potatoes are feeling it. Hoping to save most of the spuds, even if they are smaller than we’d like, we cut the greens off the worst rows and are waiting for sun & air to kill the blight spores left on the row surface. Then we’ll dig the spuds for storage. The other rows will be triaged as needed, but we should still manage enough potatoes to last into next year.
The wheat is being harvested rather awkwardly, but looks nice so far. It was too dang hot to cut it all in one go, so we brought some stalks up to the shade to clip the heads from the straw. Once the heads dry, we’ll thresh them to remove the wheat from the chaff, as the saying goes.